19 Replies Latest reply on 17-Jul-2018 5:36 PM by donnad

Module Six Discussion

teachontario.team

Our focus so far has been quite math heavy. I typically use the micro:bit as a tool to collect data for Data Management (mean, median, mode, graphing, etc), Probability (experimental and theoretical), Algebra (using variables) as well as Number Sense. We could easily code LED patterns and create tables of values as well.

Putting math aside, and using what we have done to this point, you could code the micro:bit to randomly choose a story starter from a list you create. What are ways can you incorporate this into other subject areas?

Post your thoughts in the thread below.

• Re: Module Six Discussion
          mattlet2002

Using the micro:bit to code probability activities is a great way to teach students about this concept.  Coding presents teachers and students with a wide range of extension activities that are instantly available once the primary work is done.  There's no need to rummage for another worksheet once students are done!  Students can explore how to make the activity unfair or find other ways to enhance the micro:bit.  I want to try the Rock Paper Scissors activity this year.

When I think of expanding the micro:bit to other subjects, I picture using it in Science with primary students.  Sometimes the students do a "Can Is Have" chart about animals or other scientific things.  The micro:bit could be used to tell students what information to find and present.  It could also be used to determine which elements of design need to be included in an visual arts creation.

room210math

The micro:bit could be programmed to put the students of a class into groupings for the purposes of working on a task, like a random group generator. A second idea is to create a digital cube that gets rolled to ask students to identify different story elements (eg. characters, setting, plot, protagonist, conflict, resolution). Another possibility lies where students have multiple ways to solve a problem/issue. So, the code could require students to solve issues in randomly selected ways, with a follow-up discussion of the effectiveness of each solution. But, I feel that to determine where best to use the micro:bit needs thought about random vs. intentional. Where students make intentional choices (eg. a written text), a randomly-selected option through code may not suit their purpose, audience or prior knowledge.

donnad

Haven't thought this entirely through but... what about using it for Social Studies? I'm thinking about explorers, pioneers, Indigenous peoples, etc.

A couple of years ago my class did an activity where they rolled the dice, and added or subtracted resources from their 'Canadian' land (e.g. fish, crops, rain, new immigrants) to study what would happen to their settlement. I think they could probably code a microbit to do the same.

If I did this again, I would want to include a more inclusive perspective of the Indigenous peoples' experiences as well.

yolantak

I'm with you! I'm always thinking of Social Studies too and I keep coming up with vocabulary exercises which I feel is more language arts.

I like your idea about adding or subtracting resources but using the mircrobit.

One idea just popped into my head and that could be a timeline??? You can use the microbit to generate events at random and students have to properly place them on a timeline...

or..

thinking more about Indegenous peoples.. perhaps the names of nations is generated at random and students have to write them out and place then on a map of Canada...

but I hate to do all the work.. so perhaps I would get students to code the activity and then get a partner to complete the activity.

??

stheobald

This year our grade 7 students created a "Fidget Cube". This activity was from the CS curriculum.  We went into this project learning about the "design process" and how technology addresses a need.   In this case the Fidget Cube in it's early stage was designed to help individuals focus. We also incorporated design elements with the design of the exterior of the cube. Another key element of the project was collaboration.  It was a huge success.

donnad

I just created a script to code my microbit for warm up activities for phys ed. I can't believe how hard my brain had to work, and I even  copied the script from Rock Paper Scissors. It's basic but I think the kids will enjoy it.warm up.png

charlandl

Thanks for the different videos.  They are easy to follow.

However, I am still not sure how I will implement it in class.  Sometimes ideas come as they are needed....or the light bulb shines in my head.

donnad

Once again, I'm not sure if this is the best spot to share this, but I'm getting a bit lost in the maze of postings.

I believe a couple of you mentioned being thoughtful or more authentic using technology (when to use it, what specifically for...), not just using it for the sake of saying 'yes I use tech in my class.' I know I'm not wording this well, but I hope it makes sense.

Interestingly, today I got an email from ISTE  about a book "Learning First, Technology Second." Couldn't help but think it was interesting timing. I don't know the book but the author talks about her Triple E Framework: Engage, Enhance, Extend.

mckinnonab

Have an idea - For the last two years our Grade 7 classes studied the novel, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  It fits in well with our board's mandate of building resiliency within our students.  As with any novel study, there is always journal writing.  A micro:bit could be used to create 'what if' scenarios and then strategies studied in the novel. The 'what ifs' are people, events, situations that cause stress, depression, feelings of low self- esteem, etc.  The strategies Harry used in the novel and what we discussed in class were: ignore, the situation if not really important, talk to friends, conjure your Patronus for biggies, participate in a stress buster, go to a trusted adult, etc.  This would be a fun and more engaging way to get students to apply what they have studied in class compared to gluing the prompt in their journals. 

s_whit

The subjects I thought of for using the information shared in this module would be Social Studies and/or Science. We would begin by a whole group Brainstorm of relevant topics/big ideas covered in the unit.

Based on an Inquiry Framework, in partners, I would give 2 separate pairs of students one of the topics from the group generated list of topics.

With their partners, students would generate a list of key questions they feel are relevant to demonstrating that they know/understand their topic.

The two pairs of partners would then come together with their list of questions and narrow down their question list to the 5 ‘best’ questions for further inquiry (the criteria for selecting ‘good questions’ would already be laid) into their topic.

Once the list of 5 was generated, a Student-Teacher/group conference would transpire to ensure questions were rich enough to promote the learning/research necessary to provide a quality learning experience/assessment task. Once they are on the right path via the Editing/Revision/Ready process, the group would work together to develop the code for their topic and the five questions they generated (Rock, Paper, Scissors Style coding).

Once all groups had programmed their microbits, They would switch micro:bits with another group, find out what their topic was (Button A) and each student would be responsible for 1 of the 5 questions (Button B or Shake), and the 5th would be a collaborative effort, which perhaps could be presented via Scratch if we wanted to further add coding?

As I typed that the questions would be displayed random style, and each kid would get one of the 5 questions, it occurred to me that this isn’t ideal because of the random/overlap, but in a way, that is perfect, because kids would really need to pay attention to the questions otherwise their would be a repeat of the same question(s) and the omission of others. This business of paying attention and communicating to clarify is something I think we are in desparate need of, so yes, I would stick with the random ‘shake’ to find your individual questions...

I’d most likely use this for Summative assessment, because it is a bigger project and I would have some type of group with individual role/representation presentations required to incorporate oral communication skills, and so that our community could ask questions and learn from the process of the experience.

I would also require that the initial groups who generated the initial questions have answers for the 5 questions they posed. The initial group would play a key role in responding to the students who ‘researched the questions’ they had programmed into the Micro:Bit...

cmoo16

I think a fun application of micro:bits would be to create music. Using Brian's example from coding word games and the 'play tone' block in music, students could re-create tunes they know (like Twinkle Twinkle).

microbit music.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  donnad

I love this, Cathy. At my board, most teachers teach music to their own class. I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so any inventive ways to teach music curriculum without being musical are huge stress relievers. Added bonus, it's using tech in a meaningful way!