12 Replies Latest reply on 19-Jul-2018 11:40 AM by cmoo16

Module 7 Discussion

teachontario.team

With regards to Design Thinking, how can we use the potential of bluetooth and Micro:Bit to have students create projects? In this example, students code a backpack alarm system. At my home, I have considered using the Micro:Bit as an alarm for my chicken coop. Using the “On Shake” input, a Micro:Bit attached to the coop door could trigger a Micro:Bit in my house over bluetooth to alert me something is happening or moving.

Post your own project ideas in the thread below.

• Re: Module 7 Discussion
          mattlet2002

The potential is the ability to redefine the projects that students can create to demonstrate their learning and understanding.  Project based learning is a growing trend and we need to find ways to consider how different expectations can be addressed through creating projects.  It reminds me of the older days when you wanted to do a dinosaur unit and then looked to see which expectations could be addressed in the unit.  The one part of the Design Thinking process that caught my attention was Empathize.  You really need to consider others when beginning the process.

A project that comes to mind is using the temperature function to track the temperature of water or air over a period of time and using the bluetooth function to send the information to another micro:bit or smartphone.  Reminds me of my bluetooth meat thermometer that sends the temperature to my phone.

room210math

Before the K classroom in our school got an entrance alert to indicate if the door had been opened, there was the possibility that a four-year old could run out of the classroom undetected. I think students would be proud to use their coding skills and the 'shake' function of micro:bit to keep Kindergarten students safe by alerting the teacher each time the classroom door was open. Another possibility is to use the micro:bit to monitor the temperature outside, to determine if we should go out for recess (too hot/cold). Then, students could take leadership roles to make school announcements.

mckinnonab

Just thinking of past culminating projects and the assignment that tests insulation with regards to conduction and convection may work.  Students have to design a doghouse that maintains a certain temperature in both summer and winter conditions.  Maybe a micro: bit/blue tooth could record how long it takes the doghouse's temperature to drop (or increase) to the desired degree???  It could possibly set an alarm when it is too hot or too cold.  In the past, students would have to go check their doghouse at a regular timed interval to monitor the temperature.  Might be a silly question, but can a micro:bit withstand an extreme change in temperature?  Just an idea...

stheobald

Okay, I've cheated ...and it  has nothing to do with Blue Tooth . But I did find a great activity on the Micro:bit and Particle Theory. This is a difficult concept for many students to understand. Using the micro:bit is another way to help students understand the concept.

https://microbit0.blob.core.windows.net/pub/nsghbwfu/STEM-micro-bit-Lesson-Solids-Liquids-and-Gases.pdf

donnad

I probably should not watch or read any of this stuff past my regular bedtime. That video on coding two microbits to send messages felt like it was Warp speed.

Although. I might have a potentially good application. I often ask my kids for a thumbs up or down. If it's a question where they may feel like they are taking a risk, I will give them a chance to talk with a neighbour before I ask each student show their thumbs.

I'm thinking it might be neat to allow them to use pre-programmed (by them) microbits to communicate their thought with a partner (or a pair shares their answer with another group), prior to giving their response (aka thumbs up/down).

I'm going to cheat here and use the activity I have already done.

For my phys-ed class, I had students use the Design thinking process to create a Fit-bit for when they ran laps for cross-country. The Design Thinking Process was used to design the fit-bit wristbands or ankle bracelets. Some students designed their "bit" to capture the body temperature while others the outdoor temp. Although I am not certain how accurate that was.

Not feeling very creative.. but I can only think of students creating their own kind of device. This would be a great culminating activity once students have been introduced to the basics of the microbit. I would have students design their own device, phone or application with the requirement that it has to communicate with another "device" within the classroom. I would hope other ideas would transpire to enhance their device. I would have them send a French message (since I teach French) to the other person and that would be a language evaluation.

s_whit

I thought of the functionality of this module in terms of Social Skills and conflict resolution. Communication can be hard. I know that some of my most ‘tech’ based learners are also my kids who struggle with verbal communication. I could see the micro:bit broadcast feature/function being used in the Zones room or as a tool to initiate communication for kids who find the process of ‘I’m sorry...’ or ‘I need...’ challenging... It would be a springboard or a tool, but an interesting use...

cmoo16

I like the idea of using the temperature reader function. Grade 1 students could explore temperature readings at different parts of the day (part of Understanding Earth and Space Systems: Daily and Seasonal Changes)/ Grade 2 students could explore temperature readings related to liquids and solids ( part of Understanding Matter and Energy: Properties of Liquids and Solids).  It also got me wondering about detecting temperature changes on skin....how much does skin temperature change when you go outside without mittens in the winter? For older grades/high school it made me think of skin temperature changes in illness/disease....prediction/detection of anaphylactic events?