mwhope

2019 - Play through your curriculum assessment with the video game creation tool, Bloxels

Discussion created by mwhope on May 3, 2019

This workshop was going to be a hands-on play session at ECOO Camp Owen Sound but unfortunately, I will not be able to be with you live.

Bloxels is a video game creating app that I have used with classes to assess students' knowledge in a Visual Arts/Social Studies integration project in Gr. 6. It easily could be used to assess understanding in math, language or science as well.

The students create their own characters, settings and obstacles as they set up levels for their peers to master and learn from. Game designers insert story blocks that contains information pertaining to the curriculum being studied and players must answer the question or gain information before they can level up. Music choice can also be assessed if you are studying how music makes you feel - creating mood.

This is a short video that shows how Bloxels work. In the video, you will see a Bloxels kit that you can purchase to create your characters and settings. You take a picture of the board once you have finished creating and it appears on your device. You do not need to buy this kit. You can build your characters and settings in the app as well.

This is what the hard copy kit looks like in case you're interested.

bloxels kit.jpeg

The app is programmed to recognize the different colour blocks in the game building setting. Each colour has a different purpose and you can animate the blocks once they are set up in the app.

IMG_1310.jpg

Now you have two options!

For a free solo account way for students to initially get to know and explore the Bloxels game concept, I would recommend downloading the Bloxels Builder app. Students set up their own accounts and share their creations on the Infinity Wall for others to find and play. The downside to this is that students can't share their characters and backgrounds and see each others work in a class setting. In order to do this, teachers must use the Bloxels EDU app and set up a classroom. Everyone is connected automatically and the teacher can see everyone's work but it is not free.

My recommendation for this is to use the 30 day free trial and see if you and your students like it! Who knows?!

Here's the link to download the apps if you haven't done so already. http://www.bloxelsbuilder.com/download

They look like this.

Bloxle builder.png . BLOXELS-EDU.png

One great thing about Bloxels Builder and Bloxels EDU is the tutorials set up to help you and your students figure out everything. With me not being here to help you, I highly recommend you take a look!

If you want to check out the free Bloxels Builder, here's their site. http://kids.bloxelsbuilder.com/

If you want to try out the free trial of Bloxels EDU, here's their site. http://www.bloxelsbuilder.com/tutorials

'First Hour with Bloxels' would be a great way to explore and start understanding the format of the app. This link takes you through the lesson and also provides a link to chat with an expert at Bloxels to answer any questions you have as well.

On Twitter, you should follow @BloxelsEDU and watch for bloxelseduchat. Both have many resources and great curriculum ideas.

Well. That's enough fodder for dipping your feet into the Bloxels world. Download the bloxels builder app and try it out. If you need some help or want to talk about other ways you can integrate this video game creation tool into your curriculum, send me an email or text. I post all my projects on Twitter as well.

Mary Walker Hope

mwhope@ecoo.org

613-243-6218

Twitter: @mwalkerhope

Outcomes